Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Growing & TV; or Growing Out of TV?

I cannot believe how fast Monkey Man is growing. Almost everyone I met throughout my pregnancy said to enjoy the baby because he’ll grow fast. Well, I blame all of you who said it for my son’s rapid growth. He used to be so tiny. I remember how his clothes used to hang off him. Now my seven-month old is wearing size 12-18 months, depending on the clothing brand. When people see him for the first time, they think he’s over a year old. I get questioned on how his motor skills aren’t more developed and why he doesn’t know how to wave or say hi or bye-bye yet. Monkey Man has grown more than double his length since birth. He outgrew his infant seat that goes with our travel system about two months ago and weighs in at 21 lbs; hard to believe when none of his pants fit him at the waist and fall to his knees when he’s cruising around the couch.

He just started cruising late last week. He hasn’t figured out how to sit up from a lying yet, or even how to crawl (he rocks on all four, but hasn’t figured out how to move his hands and knees); but stand him up and the baby walks. He’s been walking while holding someone else’s hands for a while, now he’s figured out if he holds onto the couch he can walk without someone’s hands. So he cruises along the furniture now and then lunges at a dog when they come too close. I keep thinking he’s going to slam his face on the floor so hard he’ll knock out one of his new teeth. He has three now.

I noticed this morning I don’t watch much TV anymore. That could be a good thing. I don’t want Monkey Man to become a TV watching drone so I try to keep it off as much as possible. He has a few Baby Einstein DVDs we watch on occasion, but they’re a rarity too. I much rather get him involved with something else that gets his mind going. He’s so naturally inquisitive and I’d like him to stay that way. I realized I have no idea when any of the shows I used to watch are on anymore. I realized I missed the Simpsons and Family Guy three weeks in a row. Two shows I absolutely love. My mother reminds me when House is on, or I’d miss that too. Sometimes, if Monkey Man is down for his first nap, I get to watch Rachael Ray in the morning. I love this show. I have a couple of Rachael Ray’s cookbooks and love them. Most of her meals are so easy to make and taste great. I like the cooking part of her talk show the most; and every once and awhile there’s a segment I enjoy too. I really enjoy Deal or No Deal. I have no clue to when the new shows are on and tend to watch repeats on Tvtropolis. I want Deal or No Deal Canada to come back and for them to pick me to be on the show.

More often than not, the TV is on for background noise. I make a point of turning it off if Monkey Man is watching more TV than playing with his toys.

Until next time…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(Missy)

I use to love watching TV too. I cancelled our TV even before I moved into the house. I know download any TV shows I want to watch (Prison Break, House, Lost, Heroes and Smallville) I think you would love Smallville. Again with the whole no time thing gets in the way. I should really start researching cloning.....